Time after time I meet with companies and the first thing they ask is how I can get them on page 1 Google. Now don’t get me wrong, first page Google is very important and needs to be a main priority. But one of the first questions I ask is what their conversion ratio is. How many people visit your website and how many people actually call you or signup for your service or buy a product? 99 times out of 100 they do not know the answer to that question, which is not a good sign.
Most small business owners do not even know where to start with Internet marketing and it is really hard to hire a consultant or employee to perform a job function that you know very little about. The first thing I do is educate business owners, I want them to know what the science is behind Internet marketing. I want them to understand what it really takes to be successful online.
The main problem business owners have is the ridiculous amount of bad content there is online about Internet marketing. Another problem is most Internet marketing companies provide really bad services and they low ball the price. Reason is, most SEO companies sell backlinks… the reason they do this is because it is very easy to outsource or automate the service. So they can pay $50 and charge $500 or $1,000 per month. Trust me this happens all the time. So be careful when someone says they are going to build backlinks for you and all this wonderful stuff is going to happen from it.
Ok, lets get back on track. As I mentioned, conversions are more important than page 1 Google. Reason is, if you can double your conversion ratio then you can double your revenue without having to drive more people to your website. It really is that easy. So what are the steps that I take to help companies increase their conversion ratio?
- Usually I have to redesign the website and I love WordPress, so if it makes sense I push to create a new WordPress website. WordPress is also great for SEO and getting page 1 Google, so its a win-win.
- Then we need fresh content, whether its articles about the company, the industry, the products or services, doesn’t matter, Google loves fresh content and so do potential customers. They want to understand more about your company.
- Testimonials are very important, but not text testimonials. Potential customers know that anyone can write a testimonial and put it on a site. To increase conversions, video testimonials are king. Yes, it isn’t easy to get them, which is why they are very powerful.
- Be more aggressive on social media (some companies won’t benefit too much from social media though) and keep a constant flow of communication with your followers. Social media is a great channel to build your brand.
- Create video content – for example, how to videos are great for most companies. The owner can create videos introducing themselves or the business. The employees can create videos… every company is going to be different but video content increases conversions more than text.
- Saturate the market, local or nationwide. This is great for conversions because no matter where someone searches for your service, you want them to see you. If they search on Google, Bing, Yahoo, Craigslist, YouTube, review sites like Yelp or Google+, any local sites where you can publish content, etc… Video is also important in this case because it also gets ranked on Google.
- Reviews really help when it comes to a potential customer making a decision. Yelp, Google+ and other review sites are key. You can even promote these sites on the company site to show people that you are getting good reviews.
The goal for this type of Internet marketing campaign is to provide so much great content to a potential customer, that you blow away the competition and it becomes a no-brainer for them to choose your product or service.
I will give you a quick example of a local cleaning services company that I recently started working with. At first, we updated their site because the old site looked like it was from 1999. Then, we published more optimized content to reach page 1 Google for their local keywords. We have recently started creating video content and they even got video testimonials from their clients. After a couple of months of putting all this together, the owner tells me he got more calls from his website than he ever had in the past 10+ years.
Increasing conversion isn’t very hard and neither is getting page 1 Google, but both are very important because if you cannot convert website visitors into customers than it doesn’t matter how many people visit your website.